Saturday, June 6, 2009

Helping Little Louie

Dear Mr. Hackly,

After picking up the Chicago Tribune this morning over my usual coffee and eggs, I was left sick to my stomach after reading the first page article that I’m sure your aware of. This A, B, C, D and F grading system that is currently in place not only seems outrageous but overall detrimental to my little Louie’s overall learning process. While Louie is an exceptional student who always does very well, now I’m not sure if he is learning that right information appropriate for his grade level. This article really made me question not only what Louie’s learning but also how you as an educating professional do not adopt standard based grading.

Mr. Hackly when looking at the article which I’m sure you have read it clearly states that the ABC method of grading that is being used in our elementary schools is wrong. From the grading system we currently have in place how am I supposed to know where Louie needs help id all I am receiving is a grade. You forget Mr. Hackly that I to am an educator and the fact is you are not doing your job by educating me the parent on how my child is doing.

In order to do this Mr. Hackly I strongly suggest you take a deep in depth look into the grading system you have in place. This article really calls your competence into question by demonstrating the benefit and detail that standard based grading can do for a child. It is inexcusable for teachers to simply give my child a grade with no explanation of why or even strengths and weakness that must be addressed in each subject area. It is only appropriate Mr. Hackly for my little Louie’s benefit that you adopt this standard based grading. If not Mr. Hackly I promise look forward to hearing from every parent in this school district as well as our lawyers.

Sincerely,
Don Magic Juan




Dear Don Magic Juan,

First and foremost I appreciate your passion over this topic. Your concern for Louie’s well-being and future is a parent’s human nature and I thank you for voicing your concern. I did in fact read the article on grading that was published recently in the news paper and I agree is does indeed bring up so strong points in favor of standard based testing. As you might not know Mr. Juan grades especially in elementary school are often discussed. Myself as well as my collogues believe it is a work in progress in order to get the grading system right.

Part of the problem you are seeing Mr. Juan is the “normal” way of grading that is seen around the country. While I am not sure of the grading system you received in school but from my experience 38 years ago is that we received letter grades. While times have certainly changed and educator are asked to do more and more the fact of the matter is our education system is hard pressed to change tradition after so many years.

While change or at least implementation is certainly necessary, lets not forget that standard based report cards are complex in nature. There have also been reports that standard based report cards are causing confusion for parents and students. There complexity in evaluating students in some cases has done more harm then good due to their overall complexity.

Change is upon us Mr. Juan. While I agree there are certainly benefits to the structure and framework of standard-based report cards, I can not just say out with the old in with the new. A child’s success is my number one priority and while I agree more needs to be done in order to ensure proper assessment and progress is tracked and explained accordingly it will take time. I thank you Mr. Juan for writing me you very passionate letter. I am looking forward to speaking with you in person and for you to see the change that is upon us


Regards,
Mr. Hackly

No comments:

Post a Comment